Sunday, June 13, 2010

Slowly but surely...

I'm done the midterm and am officially 1/6 done my final year in the midwifery program.  Sometimes I really feel like I'm getting closer and closer to the end!  The midterm seemed to go alright, save for a few answers that had me cringing at the thought of the tutor reading them.  Still, I know that I passed... hooray! 

Despite feeling horrifically guilty, I took an extra day off call after the midterm on a whim.  Two other students and I went for lunch to commiserate over hummus wraps, and then went shopping (mostly of the window variety) on Queen West.  Our friends from Guelph came into town for the weekend and we spent a fair bit of time with them going out for meals, hanging out, checking out the Bloor street festival and Honest Ed's.  They have introduced us to some other friends of theirs... everyone's a potential BFF these days, so I was immediately sizing them up.  We really like them so hopefully we will see more of them.

One of the hardest parts about being wrapped up in the day-to-day of being a midwifery student is that when you spend time with friends who are NOT midwives, it's hard to filter yourself properly.  When people ask questions about the things you do, it's important not to be TOO specific.  When you mention things like vagina and/or suturing, for example, people start to look at each other pointedly and then down at the table... a signal that it's time to wrap it up.  I get it.  It kind of makes me laugh.  I know that my career choice is most certainly not for everyone.  I still love it. 

Overall it was a quiet call weekend (two of my primaries had their babies on Thursday when I was off studying for the midterm) and I had a really relaxing one.  When I went into the clinic to prep my charts for the week, I felt totally okay with it... I guess I just really needed the break.  Right now Rob is making chocolate chip cookies while I do my homework (really, that's what I'm doing!)... I'm so lucky!


No comments: